Friday, February 1, 2013

R.I.P. Patty Andrews, last of the Andrews Sisters

The New York Times has reported that Patty Andrews, the lead singer and youngest of the Andrews Sisters, passed away on Wednesday at the age of 94.

Anton Bruckner once said that when he reached the gates of Heaven, he would be allowed in on account of his Te Deum. I'm no theologian, and won't comment on Bruckner's ideas on that score. But if I was asked to speak up for Patty Andrews, I'd offer her performance of 'Moonlight' with her sisters, Harry James, and his Orchestra. I daresay that tune, and so many like it, have done me more good in my life than I can measure.

Like most siblings, the Andrews had their famous fights, but they managed through it all to produce one of the most unique and engaging groups in American music history. Singing like a big band trumpet section, they moved as one and could swing as hard as any.

It's my prayer that all the old rivalries are gone, all tears dried, and that Patty is singing with her sisters again in Heaven today.